I take my kids on a lot of "nature walks," but usually not in the summer. However, I was talking with my mom yesterday about how she use to go to a school in Beaumont without air conditioning and how this guy from her work said he dug a trench around his house in the middle of the Texas heat and played in it throughout the summer. So I thought, okay, okay! I'm going to take the kids on a nature walk despite the temperature. We went to some trails that are about a 10 minute drive from my house. The kids complained of being hot at first and kept asking me for water. I told them (like I always do) that nature walks make us stronger. Now I could add "especially in the summer." They trudged along and then we came to the creek.
They saw a turtle (it was on that branch sticking out of the water) and started to get more excited. We walked on and then they came to their favorite "hill."
They love climbing this hill and it was a little muddy from the rains which made it even better! We walked a little more and came upon this!
Now this part of the trail has always been there, but it's usually not this green. See! It is nice to hike in the summer sometimes! After a while, the kids wanted to head back to the trailhead (there's a playground) and so Eaden led the way.
Happy day!






You are braver than I. I do not like to sweat outside. If I am working out or working in the garden okay, but on a walk-nope. Maybe it's all those years in GA. It look like they had a great time. You're a great mom!
ReplyDeleteGood for you for getting out there! I'm a wimp when it comes to the heat. That first photo is really quite beautiful. I think it's frame-worthy. :)
ReplyDeleteYou are all so brave! And what a treat to see all that lush vegetation...my favorite part of a nature walk. Wishing you cool breezes.
ReplyDeleteI keep telling myself that we are going to get outside more and go hiking. I, however, am a worrier. I worry about hiking with just me and my daughter so we have yet to go on our own. We have been with friends, and we had fun, but we can't really set our own pace.
ReplyDeleteMaybe this week I will just suck it up and head for the hills.
I used to go backpacking a lot by myself before I had kids. There wasn't someone to go with me whenever I wanted so I just went. I might have been a little scared but if we don't do things because we're scared or worried then we won't ever do much. That's kind of how I feel anyway. I know it's different when you have kids. There was this book I read, i don't know what it's called! anyway, idle parent is good and i think there's one called free range kids about not worrying. that one i can't think of was neat though...
ReplyDeleteGood for you - I'm glad you had that compass out there!!! hahaha
ReplyDeleteIt looks like a great day, and what memories you are building for your beautiful children xx
ReplyDeleteYour photos are gorgeous and so are your children, oh my! Looks like a wonderful place to hike.
ReplyDeleteFun!
ReplyDeletePS- I love that hair!!