Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Classical Failure

I knew the time would come. We've given up on any sort of classical education that remained in our days (which wasn't much). I was somewhat trying to have the kids learn about Ancient Greece and the olympics while the olympics were on. Eaden is a bit interested, but she would much rather be learning about earthquakes (on this day). Also, I realized that we have had our Ancient Greece library books for 6 weeks and now they must be returned. We have not read even 1/3 of them...and I'm pretty sure we had them for 6 weeks before that.


 So we returned every book on Ancient Greece and checked out one on fun activities to do at home. Here is Eaden attempting to write a message in invisible ink with lemon juice. It worked...for most of the letters...ha!


 Naia would rather eat the lemons.


Please take a close look at these hands and fingernails. Remember the image for later...


 The girls love watching doodle bugs crawl upside down.



 The boys find the bugs. Excuse the flash. My camera has a mind of its own (I guess that's what "AUTO" means).



Okay, remember the hands? They are making cookies now! And I know for a fact that she did not wash them!


 And I'm pretty sure he didn't wash his hands either! (I did NOT eat cookies).


 This booger face loves plantain chips with ketchup...to each his own.


 Last minute fort before Mirek's nap.


 Mirek is sleeping. What do we do? What do we do? ....PAINT!


 So here is our new homeschooling style. I will have to change the little "how we homeschool" tab up top! We created a book. A book of questions.



The kids are always asking me questions! Most of the time I do not know the answer. HOWEVER, I am a librarian! I did get a Masters in Library Science for some reason right!?

The kids write their questions in the book and I help them find the answers. I do not give them the answers, but I show them where they might be found and I provide them with activities they might find engaging.

So here is our "curriculum." Completely self directed and completely INTERESTING!!!!!!

2 comments: