We got outside today and dug in the dirt. Really does feel good....even when you're pregnant. We prepared the bed out front. It's in full shade so I'm just doing a bit of landscaping and I think I'm going to put a bird bath in the middle. We have a perfect view of this bed from our book nook. We also cleaned up all of the pots, well not all of them, but some. We will hopefully get to vegetables and herbs later in the week.
I do my best and try to learn about gardening and whatnot, but it's just so much information! I didn't grow up with this stuff and trying to catch up now is a little....well, hard. The people at places like Lowe's and Home Depot don't seem to know much. I think they just work there. At other gardening places around town, the staff doesn't speak a lick of English. I want to take classes with a local group, Urban Harvest, but it's just the money that's a bit of a problem....
Taven scared the crap out of me when I went to pick up this ice chest he had pushed open earlier. I had no idea he was in there, lol. Smart boy he's becoming.
We found a lot of baby oak trees.
The kids picked out and played with the grubs.
And played temporarily with the worms.
Taven makes a wish.
Oh yeah! And the bees are here!









Yaaay gardening! And bees! I'm jealous - we're still getting snow and stuff here. We planted a bunch of seeds inside but I don't know when we'll be able to take them out there!
ReplyDeleteI have a bed in the shade. Last year I planted lemon balm and a couple of shade roses and garlic. It does get alittle sun. They are all doing great, especially the lemon balm
ReplyDeleteYour stone pavers and garden bed edges are gorgeous. good luck with your gardening! Every year I learn a little more of what not to do by killing a few more plants (what, they cant fend for themselves while I go away during a heat wave??! Double dose of fertiliser isn't twice as good?) Library books can be helpful too
ReplyDeleteI started gardening for the first time when we moved to our current house 2 years ago, and just tried a bit of everything! I got all my seeds as cheaply as possible from discount stores, and I signed up to a kitchen garden magazine which came with free seeds in each issue - I ended up with WAY too many! But great fun seeing what worked :) Good luck with yours!
ReplyDeleteYay for your garden...it's a lot of trial and error anyway. as soon as I think I have something figured out the weather gets funky.... do you have any gardening neighbors you can befriend?
ReplyDeleteno not really.I took the kids on a wagon wide today around the neighborhood and we noticed all the pretty weeds...and glass, trash, and a pair of panties actually.
DeleteAhhhh..good old Houston! Be careful with that ice chest.....that's dangerous.....
ReplyDeleteyeah I thought about that, but the lock on it is broke.
ReplyDeletelast year i started checking out every gardening and homesteading book i could from the library. as i was just getting into that stuff then, a lot of it felt really overwhelming. but i took notes and now i have started planting and feel really good about it. i'm sure i'll screw a bunch of things up, but there's always next year. one of my best tips is to plant what your family will eat. there's no point in planting arugula if no one will eat it, for example. good luck and have fun with it!
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely pictures, your little ones are so photogenic! I love that shot of the dandelion blowing, bless. I also love the pic of the bees. I love to see them going busily about there business. Unfortunately for us, its turned cold again for a bit, so everything is grey and muddy and not a single sighting of any flying insects. I guess they have found somewhere warm to skulk until it warms up again. I have lots of seeds waiting to be planted. I only started our patch a few years back, and most of our growing has been trial and error. We are trying out some wild flower patches this year, but I have to confess to being a bit ignorant as to what needs to be sown where and when! I find learning new stuff pretty hard myself nowadays, I guess thats what happens when you have so many little people to look after! Have a great rest of your week xx
ReplyDeleteYour kiddos are SO cute!!! Yay for gardening and for bees:)) Looks like you guys are having a blast!
ReplyDelete