Friday, February 17, 2012

My Advice and Blogging Complex

I've come to learn that I don't like reading or receiving advice. I don't like parenting books. I really don't like people (I know they mean well) telling me I should or should not do something with my kids. Even when I agree with them, I don't like it! What is my problem? Soon enough, every blogger in the world is going to hate me...or at least be really annoyed. I know I've given advice plenty of times, stankin' hypocrite! You know what? I have a blogging complex too. I really hate it and yet I do it all the time. I just want someone to hang out and drink beer with. None of y'all are over here drinking beer dang it! I blog primarily for my family to keep up with what I'm doing and the fact that I have other readers just makes everything a little more interesting. Well maybe with all my I hate your pretty blogs and parenting advice, I'll have less readers. I read blogs primarily for ideas. Ideas for activities to do with the kids, new pursuits, whatever. However, I keep coming across advice! Telling me not to sign my kids up for planned and guided activities, to let them sleep in my bed, to breastfeed them until their six,....you know. Oh crap. I'm being offensive. And I'm rambling. Well here's a picture.



23 comments:

  1. Lol....hey, at least your honest....love that!! What I hate is that you read that post I wrote about activities. I wrote that a good while Ago and that day I had a revelation that my kids didn't have to be in 10 different activities to be happy and what my Kids were definitely in need of was more time to just be......

    I agree with you that gymnastics can be so fun and so good for them and we will probably do it again someday, just not right now, we are enjoying our freedom:)

    Hope you have a freakin' awesome weekend! -Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol barefoot mama I didn't even know you read my blog :-) I admit. Your post did get me thinking about this, but I know you weren't saying not to enroll kids in activities. I just recently enrolled my kids in their first class (gymnastics) so I was like oh god people are going to start talking about me...oh no another complex.

      Delete
    2. :) while we are being honest & talking about blogging and alcohol at the same time. I'm about to confess to one of the only lies I tell on my blog..lol I don't drink wine...I like it with certain meals but straight organic tequila is my drink of choice. I keep my bottle in the freezer and there isn't much I like as much as a glass of nearly frozen tequila with a little passion flower and chaga tincture. I usually just say " I had a glass of wine" because saying " I had a glass of tequila" makes me sound like an alcoholic...lol There, I said it and now I feel so much better:))
      Love ya, B

      Delete
    3. LOL I hate tequila! Glass of wine def sounds like it tastes better :-)

      Delete
  2. Great, a very honest post, its your blog, you tell it how it is! I hate advice too, I like to live exactly how I want, always have, and quite frankly thats half the reason I hate the idea of school, I would probably piss off all the teachers long before my kids did! I never took advice even as a young girl. Right after my first child was born, I told my health visitor to get out of my house when she offered advice on co sleeping! We all use blogs for ideas, and why not. You haven't lost this reader! Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! - nice to see you blogging again, Megan. You are an authentic voice in the blogworld. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you have gained this reader! I don't do beer though, I'm a whine-o :) I write to have a voice, to hear myself. A little crazy, but it has made a huge difference in my psyche! Oh and my kids looooved gymnastics! Great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! I hope you don't mind me reading your blog. Your kids are so cute. :) I get all hung up on "what are people going to think". Like today, my 4yo was doing a worksheet where you trace letters and I took a pic of his chubby cute hand. Then I thought, "I'll have to explain that I don't actually make my preschooler do worksheets. He wanted to do it. And blah blah blah." Why should I care?!! Cuz you know there are plenty of people who would also think me a slacker for not pushing worksheets. (eyeroll at self)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course i don't mind you reading my blog! and the worksheet thing is such a good example of another complex (worrying what others think). my oldest loves worksheets and of course if she does then her sister does. well thats another reason to blog anyway....to recognize and get over our complexes....together....lol.

      Delete
  6. LOL! I have learned that caring what other people thinks gets you nothing but a migraine...well me at least. Not that I don't, but I try not to. I hate advice to. I do what works for me, and well basically want everyone else to leave me alone LMAO. If I wasn't sitting here in Dutch Harbor I would come have a beer with you, but I would have to bring some smirnoff (sp) or some wine, or mikes hard lemonade would work. I have never been a beer drinker. I blog for the same reasons as you though and have the same love hate relationship. I do love to connect to people who I find I would totally be friends with in real life though ;)

    Oh did you see I changed my blog addy. I think you can still see it in your blogger feed, but if not...I changed it to www.beringseaadventures.blogspot.com
    Long story behind that, but it had to do with a week moment when I cared what other's thought and caused a migraine! LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  7. man I spelled weak wrong! See I need that drink with you today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Commenting again...LOL. Your post inspired me to write one I had been thinking of for awhile. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha - I am terrible with advice, too! God, I can't help myself, I just am. Even when I agree with something I get uncomfortable when I feel like someone's telling me what to do. I have a lot of parents and grandparents (there were a lot of divorces and remarriages in my family) and so I suppose I got my lifetime's quota of advice by the time I was twelve! ;)

    Have an awesome weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your honesty....I think you are great.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know what, thats all I want to (someone to hang out n drink beer with!) well, cider's my tipple really! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. No advice from me, just a comment to say I love the picture and hope you're having a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No advice from me either :) Love the photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe Taven stood there long enough to have his picture taken of him!....Granny Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. timeout is like a game for him...it doesn't work :-)

      Delete
  15. I love your honesty! And this pic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. First off...Thank you for stopping by my blog :) I am enjoying reading all your back posts but I had to pipe in here :)

    The problem with advice as I see it is, it usually doesn't get portrayed as advice. It gets dictated as this is the way it should be because someone else sees it that way and I have a problem with that. The problem comes when this dictated advice is so strong there is no room for the possibility of someone else's opinion (our own) being right.

    I believe we are all entitled to our opinions and life is too short to get ourselves all tied in knots over someones else's opinion. All we can do is our best and be happy with the choices we make. We won't always make perfect choices but if we learn from our mistakes then not all is lost...that's just my 2 cents.

    I think a lot of us start our blogs for own own personal reasons...like keeping family members up to date with what is happening in our lives but as time goes on we get to know so many wonderful people from all over the world. We read about and share our own most intimate thoughts through blogging.

    We get to know people even if only online and wish we could just pop over for a chat or a beer or glass of wine or even a glass of tequila! Personally I don't see a problem with that. I know for myself I have met many wonderful people online and if they were ever in my neck of the woods my doors would be open to them just as they are to my everyday friends. Most of us are women, we are born to care and share and help one another and we gain and give inspiration here daily and there is nothing wrong with that as far as I can see.

    Here's to blogging honestly because if we can't be honest in our blogs then we aren't really being honest with ourselves.

    So my friendly advice is to live life, and enjoy it as life is too short and too precious to sweat all the small stuff :)

    -Your newest follower...Brooke of imagination station ( siayla.blogspot.com ) and operationexplorations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. PS I forgot to ask where the cenote in your header is from? It looks so beautiful!And the armadillo nest...how wonderful to catch it. I'm in Canada but travelling last summer I saw my first Armadillo in Texas as was so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's hamilton pool in dripping springs Texas :-)

      Delete