Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Holy Schnikeys! Best Deviled Eggs!

I'm sure y'all have all had deviled eggs before, but I'm going to post this anyway, just in case there is some unfortunate soul out there. This afternoon I found myself with a hankerin' for one of my favorite snacks...deviled eggs. However, I had no mayonnaise. So I googled how to make mayo and as you might know, it's quite simple. I took two egg yolks, added some salt and pepper, and then started whisking. I then added 1 cup of olive oil a drop at a time (all the while whisking). Add a tablespoon of vinegar at the end and whisk a little more. Of course, the mayo tasted quite olive oily, but it was all I had...and I thought it was great!


Next, I made the deviled eggs. Nothing fancy, just the basics. I use 6 boiled eggs, 1/4 cup mayo, some mustard (I just squeeze in the regular spicy kind, maybe 2 tablespoons), and a few dashes of tabasco. Oh, yeah, salt and pepper. Boil the eggs. Cut them in half, put yolks in a bowl. Then add mayo, mustard, tabasco, salt, and pepper. Mix. You might think I'm weird but I like mine a little chunky. I just get a fork and mash everything up a bit. Then I spoon it into the eggs and sprinkle paprika all over. 


Best deviled eggs ever! The homemade mayo makes the biggest difference!

4 comments:

  1. yum! i was craving hardboiled eggs yesterday. this might just push me over the edge. your deviled eggs look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum, ive always loved deviled eggs but never actualy made them, I have all those ingredients on hand so I now know what ill be making for lunch! (If I can get the mayo to work, last time I got impatient and chucked all the oil in at once which was a flop, ill be sure to follow your directions propperly lol:)
    Im loving all your mud pie kitchen photos lately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made mayo once, and it was revolting! Too much extra virgin olive oil I think. I might just have another go though looking at this, those eggs look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have never had deviled eggs. these look really yummy!

    ReplyDelete