Thursday, February 2, 2012

Megan's Homeschool Day in the Life (with a 1 year old, a 3 year old, and a 4 year old)

I love reading the Day in the Life Series over at Simple Homeschool. When I saw that anyone would be able to link up Friday with their own "Day in the Life" I thought why not? So on Wednesday I painstakingly kept track of our every move (and I mean EVERY move). It's not something I want to do again but it was interesting. After looking back at the day, I thought that it was pretty typical with only a couple of things out of the ordinary. That's how it goes. Every day is different, a new adventure. On this day, not one of my kids picked up a pen, pencil, or crayon, which is definitely odd. There was also no t.v. watching...again odd. Lately we at least let them watch t.v. at night before bed. We have no bedtime for the girls, it's a free for all! Anyway, here was our day.

8:00 - Wake up, make coffee, and prepare breakfast (I'm not much of a chef in the morning so I microwave pancakes).

This is where Eaden usually sleeps.

8:45 - Storytime (the kids pick out books and I read to them for as long as they want) and coffee.
9:20 - Kids start picking up their own books and doing their own thing so I start to clean the kitchen.

Taven loves when his sister's "read" to him.

9:40 - Get dressed and brush our teeth.
10:00 - Head to the dairy farm and farmer's market.




11:40 - Return from errands. The girls play book delivery (ride around the house on their bikes delivering books) and Taven lays down with milk.
11:50 - I start preparing lunch and give the kids a snack to hold them over (a lime - that's what they wanted - and pickled green beans).

Lime face

12:10 - Lunch is served and I clean the kitchen again.



12:25 - I ask the kids what they want to do. Naia says play ring around the rosie and Eaden says a craft. I tell them to play ring around the rosie while I figure out a craft.

They make a bike fort instead.

And they go out back to look for worms.

1:00 - We start a craft.


The craft is too hard for Taven so he decides to do other things.



1:35 - We are done with the craft and the kids say they want cereal (I pretty much let them eat when they want). I give them cereal and tell them to go play upstairs so I can clean (and rest).
2:00 - I head upstairs to check on the kids.



2:05 - Kids are fine so I head outside for a break. Now normally about this time a break means beer. Since I'm pregnant I have to settle for this.


2:20 - The girls kick Taven out of the bedroom. I read stories with him.
2:40 - The girls let Taven back in the bedroom and so I cook myself some eggs and eat some radishes (so exciting.)
3:00 - The kids say they're hungry again. I boil them some soybeans and clean again while waiting for the water to boil.
3:15 - Soybeans are served and the kids take them back to their room (what's going on in there?) Again I clean the kitchen (I know this seems excessive but it's done in little spurts lol) and figure out what's for dinner (pizza).
3:30 - Get Eaden ready for tumbling class (brushing my kids' hair is a chore).
4:00 - My husband gets home and I take Eaden to tumbling. We run by the store after to pick up some flour.


6:15 - We arrive home and I start dinner.
7:00 - Kids and husband's pizza is served. I put my pizza in the oven and, of course, clean again.


7:20 - My pizza is done and I sit down to watch American Idol (yes I watch American Idol).
8:15 - I put Taven to bed and head to my bed (I read, surf the Internet, and/or watch t.v.) At this point the girls can pretty much do whatever. However, if they want food, they have to get it themselves. My husband is watching a movie so they cannot watch t.v. They play games on the touchpad for a bit, play some made up game with flash cards, run around, etc. I think they probably fall asleep somewhere in between 10 and 11pm.

Good night!

7 comments:

  1. I don't know how Eaden sleep on the hard floor. I guess it must not bother her. Pizza looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny, feels like I'm always cleaning something...and yet nothing ever looks very clean. You've got a couple of night owls on your hands I see. We seem to have one of each, our boy likes morning while our girl likes the wee hours of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh congrats, I missed that you are pregnant, how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids are always eating, too!! My girls have a strict bedtime routine during the week. In bed by 7 so they fall asleep by 8 (they share a room and tend to giggle). My son, forget it. I've tried and tried. He won't stick to a routine, especially since he went into a big boy bed and can climb out whenever he wants. He usually falls asleep on the couch then I carry him to bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are cute! Congrats on your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I love my beer, too, and having ten kids I really feel for you not being able to drink during pregnancy....I usually get over going "dry" pretty fast, but by the end of nine months I'm ready for a beer...lol. You have a beautiful family:)

    xo ~ michele

    ReplyDelete