We love our home, we do. The only thing I wish for is a large outdoor space nearby. We have nothing like that. I would love to live on a huge piece of land with the nearest house being close enough to walk to but not right over a fence outside my back window.
By my posts and the amount of nature walks we go on, you might think Houston looks okay. However, we go to the same few places (which we LOVE and are VERY thankful for) over and over (which is fine) and they all require a drive. Sometimes I feel guilty about all of the driving, but I feel it is necessary. To allow my kids (and myself) that connection with nature is so important to me. I do drive a lot less than when I was working, but it is still too much. To have a place that is within walking distance with endless nooks and crannies to explore would be ideal. But I live in a massive city. By land area, I'm pretty sure it is much larger than places like New York, Chicago, and L.A. It is sprawling concrete at its finest. But what can I do? Drive places.
A lot of y'all have commented on how much we get out, go on nature walks, etc. It may seem like we're forever busy. To be honest though, I kind of do it for me. It allows me that peace I need. I'm addicted to going places where no concrete is visible. I kind of just drag the kids along, lol. (No they really love it). Anyhow, that's enough rambling. Here's what we did this weekend.
On Friday we made a potato trap (which only had one ant in it when we checked today).
We did some crafting.
I did some baking. I actually made pumpkin bread and muffins and an apple tart. I'll spare y'all the picture of the apple tart (although it did taste good).
On Saturday we went to the Mercer Park and Arboretum Fall Festival and Garden Faire. We hung out at the Faire and Park for a bit and then headed over to the Arboretum.
My mom treated Eaden and I to Lion King 3D Saturday night and invited us to tag along at the Houston Arboretum Sunday morning with the cousins.
And I made it back in time for the football game. Although we lost, I had a good time drinking my Harvest Pumpkin Ale.
On Friday we made a potato trap (which only had one ant in it when we checked today).
We did some crafting.
I did some baking. I actually made pumpkin bread and muffins and an apple tart. I'll spare y'all the picture of the apple tart (although it did taste good).
On Saturday we went to the Mercer Park and Arboretum Fall Festival and Garden Faire. We hung out at the Faire and Park for a bit and then headed over to the Arboretum.
![]() |
| LOVE the high school kids on the train! |
![]() |
| Eaden LOVES these creatures, so finely made in China, that we purchased at the Arboretum |
![]() |
| Click on this to make it bigger and see if you can find the snake |
And I made it back in time for the football game. Although we lost, I had a good time drinking my Harvest Pumpkin Ale.
| Heavily edited to remove wrinkles |























Your nature pics are beautiful. I really like the ones of the lizard camouflaged on the stick and the two snakes meeting. The one of your son putting mulch in his hair - funny, yet I feel your pain. My daughter's hair is super kinky and she's always getting stuff like that in it that just won't come out!
ReplyDeleteWe have to drive too. We don't live in a big city but we also don't have land. Weekly trips to the mountains are so wonderful one on hand, but seem excessive (with gas prices) on the other. Sometimes, though, it just has to be done.
Such wonderful pictures!
ReplyDeleteWhat wrinkles???? Great photos! I guarantee you your kids will talk forever about the outings you do when they get older. We use to drive 45 minutes to a state park for the kids and we have such fond memories :)
ReplyDeleteHey I say get nature where you can find it. I have only been to the Houston airport. That place and the city is huge. Drive if you gotta! I'd be driving too! Maybe Houston should get on the stick and remove some of that concrete and let some meadows grow. Love the pictures and your kiddos exploring and making!
ReplyDeleteI have the land, but we still have to drive to go anywhere. I think you do what you have to do, especially for your kid's. You are making some wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.
ReplyDeleteWrinkles? You make me laugh! Have a great day Megan.
These are beautiful! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWhen are we going camping??
ReplyDeleteI know it's your blog, but you're freaking me out with all these snake photos!!!! Maybe a bit of a warning? Just saying. ;)
ReplyDeleteAnyway, do what you need to do to make the best of a situation. If that means you have to drive, at least you're getting your kids out of the house and showing them there is a beautiful world out there. Did you have fun getting the mulch out of Taven's hair? lol
(left you a little comment on my last blog post, cause I still can't find your email address. ;) )
Dylan and I sat here for a few minutes searching for the snake, and we've reached an impasse. He thinks it's to the left and I think it's in the center. We're both firm in our convictions, so we agreed to disagree. haha!
ReplyDeleteI took for granted the gorgeous landscape of my homeland before moving down here to the pine barrens of Georgia. I know that someday I'll be surrounded by meadow and mountain again, so I try to make the best of it and show Dylan the beauty in these surroundings.
If we were neighbors, we'd totally carpool. Hey kids...jump in the bus :)
snake pic spoiler alert!: it's on a lily pad right above eaden's (in the middle) head.
ReplyDeleteI'm in the same boat...we're stuck in the 'burbs on a heavily used highway and have to drive somewhere just to take a walk and I have similar guilt. Tracey has a good point though, even if you were in the country, you'd then have to drive to town for other reasons. It all evens out, I think (at least, that's what I keep telling myself!)
ReplyDeleteYour self-portrait is lovely, by the way! :)
Well I sat for several minutes trying to spot that snake and I thought I had found it, but I was wrong.
ReplyDeleteWe have to drive everywhere for shopping, community and petrol (gas) lol at that- and you see how much space is around us. Have you ever read Planetwalker, by John Francis? A great book - see if your library can get it.
And wrinkles!!! At my age - yes, but you are a long way from that. xxx
Loving this whole post! The photos are fantastic...so much fun and adventure.
ReplyDelete