Friday, September 9, 2011

A New Rhythm

This week was a little off with Labor Day, having to watch Abigail Tuesday and Wednesday, and then court on Thursday (traffic ticket), but I'm sure our rhythm will fall a little bit more into place next week. We did start preschool on Tuesday for Eaden and she loves it. There is not too much of a difference to our days. I read a lot less blogs, blog less myself, and spend more time with the kids suggesting and guiding activities. They usually are all about doing them. The weather has cooled down considerably (highs around 90-93) which means we are spending a lot more time outdoors. I can even kick them out back and they will stay which allows me to get a little cleaning done (or reading, knitting, relaxing, etc). However, the temps are supposed to rise again next week, there is no rain in sight, and forest fires are everywhere. Besides the fires, trees are dying like crazy from the drought. It's really getting old. Anyway, here are some moments from the week:

Eaden on her first day of preschool.
 We took the autumn books outside to read (yes I realize it is not yet officially autumn but we can pretend).
We painted some acorns.
And then decided to draw some acorns.
We collected acorns and created "acorn math."
We went for wagon rides.
Played hopscotch.
Eaden loves to write.
We painted some pots.
 Planted some veggies for fall.

My husband took off of work Thursday so I could go to court. After my wonderful morning there, I took Naia for a nature walk. Eaden stubbed her toe pretty bad at the beach house and then restubbed it in the same place riding her scooter the other day. So she didn't want to wear shoes. Her and Taven went with my husband to get a goat for the deep freezer my brother-in-law gave us a few weeks ago.

This morning, we're making bread from Soulemama's new book, Rhythm of the Family.

Let me add a picture of Taven, poor thing.
I am so happy and so thankful to have homeschooling as an option. I think that what I dislike most about public and a lot of private schools is the herding the kids around, keeping them calm, keeping them inside, lining them up with their hands behind their backs, etc. It's a colossal waste of time and completely unnatural. The teacher to child ratio here in the home is 1:3 and that allows for a lot of free time to play, run around, camp, think, explore, ...live. So much of what I know I learned on my own, sitting alone in my tent reading and writing. I would get so angry that no one ever taught me much of anything that was important. I was angry that I got such a late start on learning. Personally, I would have been thankful for someone to guide me in the right direction or give me something to read I would be interested in. That's one of the reasons I'm not all about letting the kids guide themselves. I guided myself most of my life (well maybe the schools misguided me. it's all so confusing) and it got me confused and searching. Confused and searching is not a bad thing, I just wish it would have happened earlier. People always say, "you're fine. You went through public schools, and you turned out great." Yes I did, thanks! But it was not because I went to public school. I went through public school getting into tons of trouble, doing drugs, and waiting for the bell to ring. I always knew that things weren't right in the world, that I wanted to be different, but I didn't know what wasn't right and I didn't know who it was that I wanted to be. People say "your kids are going to miss out on this and on that..." Who gives a sh@#! They would miss out on so much more if they were locked in a school building all day. Yes, I realize that some public schools are better than others, that there are some great private schools, and that everyone has their own unique situation and experience. I'm just talking about myself and my family. We are going to have the times of our lives and we are going to do it as a family.

Sorry that was so long, but I thought it would be easier to do one long post than a bunch of little ones. Hope you all had a great week and have an even better weekend!

19 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a week chock full of wonderful activities and special time spent with your kiddos. What a great way to usher in the fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aidan would love all of that, except for the writing part. He could just dictate and Eaden could write for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such cute photos- I love the potted planters- so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys look like you've been having a blast. Those painted acorns are so cute and I bet that bread was yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to go to your preschool! What a great time y'all are having.
    Sounds like you know what you want for your children as far as schooling goes and good for you for going after it! One of my regrets is waiting to homeschool. I spent a fortune on private schools, have tried public [they are pretty bad here] and then would stay up late at night teaching my children. Guess I'm a little slow because it took awhile, but I finally brought them home to learn. I now have only one left, plus a granddaughter who will be with me part time for one more year. Not sure what I will do with my time then. I look forward to watching as your children grow and learn with you so thank you so much for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you were blissfully busy ;)

    Since moving down here to southeast Georgia, I've missed autumn. I never realized how great it was to have all four seasons back in Kentucky. Here it's just Hot and Not As Hot. Hah!

    So, that last paragraph, in its entirety, could have been written by me. I feel so much connection with it!!

    Was the bread super yummy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "They would miss out on so much more if they were locked in a school building all day." Amen!! I totally agree with you. A certain little public schooled boy who apparently looks at my blog always asks me why we get to go camping and do crafts and fun stuff. I feel bad for him and am so glad my kids aren't locked away all day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your preschool looks so fun. I am really sorry and sad about the state of education in the country. We have a great school and I still get an earful from teachers. I am so glad you got into learning and that you all have found something that works right for you! Now if you guys could get a little rain. We have had monsoons for three days with flash flooding and sinkholes! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you all are off to a wonderful start this school year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the painted acorns, think i'll pinch that idea for tomorrow! Great hopscotch pic too. I agree so much with whay you are saying about schools, my little one started school this week and I'm feeling really mixed up about it all. You sound so content and positive about your decision to homeschool, its really inspiring! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tell it like it is! It takes great courage, imagination and strength of will to home school I think. I wish I had the discipline, enthusiasm and confidence to try it myself. Luckily we love our Waldorf school where a hunk of the day is spent out of doors. Looks like you're doing great work (and play) with your lovely children. A wonder-filled year unfolding... :) Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic post! Love your reasoning, totally to the point and I totally agree! We are so happy with our decision to homeschool. Our first week was great, getting into the groove and finding a more consistent rhythm will take a few more weeks, but life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a busy week! You must be doing something right. Lots of lovely smiles and activity. I love the picture of Eaden jumping. You're giving them a beautiful childhood. I now want to go and paint acorns!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Dionne-i don't think we have any waldorf schools around Houston :-( and i always wanted to be a teacher and/or librarian so homeschooling is perfect for me. i think parents having quality choices is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look like they are having fun learning :) Your school day looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i totally feel ya on the schooling situation. it is sad to think of locking our kids indoors, lining them up, telling them to be quiet when all they want and need is to be free, loud, explore, thoughtful, playful ...
    since having a baby my mind has completely changed about schooling. i went to public school and always imagined id send my kids there. truthfully, public school gave me a hatred towards school, teachers, introduced me to a lot of drugs, and i too was just waiting for the bell to ring. now, i cant imagine sending my children to public school. i think there is a great remembrance happening, many more people turning back towards traditional ways of learning. learning from the earth, community/parental guidance, how to take care of a home and themselves. it is inspiring to see and be a part of.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are amazing photos!!! I just love coming here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for that post. I still have homeschooling as a possibility stuck in the back of my head (although the house I am in right now is so tiny that it would be even more of a challenge). I am just not sure I have the patience and could convince my son to listen to me.... Your photos and blogs posts are surely inspiring though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Painting acorns sounds like a fun activity. I agree with you on the learning...homeschooling is what you want it to be! We're so lucky to have that freedom.

    ReplyDelete