Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Yarn Along

I'm trying to make a baby poncho for a friend's baby shower this Saturday. I have never made anything like this and I don't really know what I'm doing. I started the thing over 5 times because of mistakes with increasing (i then took the increases out of the pattern) and purling or knitting when I was supposed to be doing the opposite. I am really bad when it comes to fixing mistakes. I usually make things much worse. That's why I have these horrible polka dots. I was in lala land and started knitting when i should have been purling, i may even have dropped a stitch, and there was no way i was starting over again. I'm sure I will mess up when I get to neck shaping and the hood so why keep starting over right? I covered my mistake with a polka dot and then I had to even out the polka dots. Hideous! Anyway, I was hoping someone might be able to give me any tips on the neck shaping. The pattern says to knit 20, join a new ball of yarn and bind off 14, and then knit 20 again. So I'm thinking this is going to become more clear when I get there, but I'm having a hard time visualizing it. After you finish binding off, the knitting just starts up again? I predict ruin! Check out others or post your own Yarn Along over at Small Things.

10 comments:

  1. I like the polka dots and think it's adorable! I would not have known that wasn't the way it was suppose to look if you hadn't said anything.

    Yes, after you bind off you will just continue to knit the stitches that are still on your needle. Once you are actually doing it I think you'll see how it all works. Good luck. If you have any more questions just yell and I'll be glad to help if I can. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so not attempting something like this yet! for this exact reason. i actually think it looks adorable too, so you are doing something right! good luck getting her done by sat!

    :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the polka dots, and had no idea they were unintentional until I read the whole post (I was on my way to comment about how cute they were!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's adorable! Yep, what Clover said re: bind off & continue knitting. I do hope you take a picture of it when it's finished :-). Keep breathing...I know it's hard when following a pattern sometimes ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks great! I wouldn't have known there were any mistakes at all.

    Sorry I don't have any advice on the neck shaping, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree... wouldn't have known it was messy if you hadn't told us! It's nice! The polkas are very playful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good to me and I love the polka dots! So festive :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the poncho. It is awfully cute. I am also bad at fixing mistakes. I frog more than I would to admit.
    We have that lovely book, 1 is One. Love her gentle illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And here I was thinking that the polka dots were too cute! I never would have known they were there to cover up a mistake! :) I'm sending good knitting vibes your way...

    ReplyDelete