Monday, August 29, 2011

Free Thrills

I decided to take my kids to the Children's Museum yesterday. I almost never take them anywhere that costs money. The last thing I remember doing that costs money was taking them to see Rio when it came out. However, we only did that because Eaden received a gift certificate to the theater for her birthday. So, guess what? They whined almost the entire time. They wanted to leave and go swimming. Why spend money? I mean really. It is not needed...ever. That's a good thing.
Creating energy

The damn plastic boat kept breaking

fun for a while

the girls' favorite part was pretending they were vets

grooming

learning where our food comes from...a supermarket
Well we didn't stay long. Off to Discovery Green downtown for some FREE water play and FREE parking. They could have stayed here for hours.

Lesson of the day (which I already knew of course): Kids DO NOT cost a lot of money. Total myth. Not only do they not cost a lot, but they are much happier just being FREE.

9 comments:

  1. looks like they had fun- I like to go to our children's museum but only for a few hours- we have a membership so that if you go more than three times in a year it is worth it- That way I am able to do small spurts instead of a long day of trying to 'get my money's worth'- my monkeys love the 'splash parks' too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great post! Your are so right in saying kid's don't cost a lot to entertain when they are young! When my children were young we always found plenty to do..the beach, the library, the park, ect. Their favorite? Cardboard boxes in the yard!
    Now teenagers? A whole different story! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that kids are perfectly happy at water parks just sitting and relaxing on a fountain. They look like they had a lot of fun.

    Kind of disappointing that the children's museum isn't incorporating that our food comes from farms and etc. You should write them and comment on it! So many kids don't realize that milk comes from a cow (and the milking process itself) and that veggies and fruits grow and need to be tended, etc etc (you know all this, why am I stating the obvious?!)

    Anyway.. yes.. write them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one thing I have definitely learned - free is (usually) better!! I found that if we do an activity that costs money, we're always rushed to cram in as much as we can so it's worth the cost, in the end never taking a moment to really enjoy anything. When we do something that's free, we're always relaxed, enabling us to enjoy every moment.

    Beautiful post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true - I have learned this to my own cost over the years. great photos of very happy children playing in the water park. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! The best things in life are definitely free.
    The water play looks great fun!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness they are cute. I think that the "veterinarian" area in all children's museums must be a favorite. Trin gravitates to that spot, too.

    I'm glad to find other mamas who don't like to spend a ton of money entertaining their kids. We paid for a zoo membership, but other than that, we find free stuff to do. It's so much easier and less stressful, especially since they're too young to really remember much of what we do in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right that entertaining children can be low cost. Mine were the happiest imagining in the back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such fun! I think if my son had a playmate (other than his less-than-enthusiastic mother), we'd do much more free play. But for now, I'll pay anything just to have someone/something else to help me entertain him. He's really the hopeless at getting through the day without my constant intervention - and, frankly, I'm losing patience for it. So glad your kids have one another!

    ReplyDelete