Friday, July 15, 2011

The Homemaker In Me

Well I've decided to take a break from the nature walks for the weekend and bring out the homemaker in me. We spent the day today with a quick trip to Gramen Farm to pick up eggs and milk, and then we had a bakefest.

We started with jalapeno cheese bread and while that was rising we worked on a cake. The jalapeno cheese bread recipe is one I found a while back with a simple google. I don't have cheese right now, but it doesn't really matter.

The cake recipe I got from Melanie at Our Ash Grove. I really like using honey instead of sugar as the sweetener. My house smelled wonderful. However, the cake didn't come out from the pan so well.
I've never really been much of a cook/baker. We eat real simple around here. I'll cut up some tomatoes, peppers, and okra, throw them in a baking pan, pour on some olive oil, season it, sprinkle goat cheese, and throw it in the oven. Last night I cooked some ground beef, added beans, tomatoes, onions, seasoning, and wala! Dinner. Tastes good to me and we're not starving. Or, on some days, the kids eat (eagerly I might add) spoonfuls of peanut butter for lunch. Anyhoo, I'm excited about my relaxing weekend. Just going to clean a bit, get in a little sewing, read, and maybe make a trip to the library. I need to find something new (and yet not too hard) to knit. Other than that, I don't plan on going anywhere. Home Sweet Home.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She probably put it in one of their 500 bags they stuff with whatever and carry around the house. and to think, i was going to make another bag today. i want to sew something but don't really have fabric or patterns. guess we don't need another bag :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That bread looks super good!

    ReplyDelete