 |
| Near Anchorage |
 |
| Big Bend, Texas |
 |
| Denali |
 |
| Landing on glacier near Juneau |
 |
| Montana |
 |
| Montana |
 |
| My Journal |
 |
| Sand Point, Alaska |
 |
| View from float plane, SW Alaska |
 |
| My home away from home |
 |
| Grand Teton |
I'm feeling the itch. Big time. The itch to travel, to see beautiful places. It makes my heart hurt, seriously, to think about it. This need to go somewhere, and yet not having the means and being trapped in the biggest state ever! I know I should try to love being where I am. To love my home, to love cooking, knitting, sewing. And I do. But I can't help who I am. I've always been this way. I begged and begged my parents to let me go to college in Alaska. I begged so much they finally gave in. Before having children I traveled quite a bit. Not across any oceans, I never had that kind of money. I've been to some border towns in Mexico and a few places in Canada when I was playing hockey. Mostly, I just went on road trips. I went across Texas, all across the south, and up through the Rocky mountains. I usually went backpacking alone because there wasn't anyone that ever wanted to tag along. I was always on a serious budget, usually with money for gas and that's about it. I haven't been out of Texas since I had kids. Traveling with them is harder, obviously. I want to drive to the mountains, but I'm not sure our car is reliable. We cannot afford to fly anywhere or rent a car. My husband also needs to visit his family in Nigeria in the near future which we need to think about. I'm sure he will have to go alone. At some point in my life I want to backpack Europe. I don't care if I have to sleep in dumpsters. My kids won't mind either, I'm positive :-) I am going to be 29 soon and although it feels as if I'm getting old, I know I am not yet too old. I should still be healthy and strong enough for the next 10 years or so to really explore. To have no regrets. How to do this with little to no money is the question. And no! Getting a job will not help. I would then just be making money to pay for daycare and I would never be able to get enough time off to do much. Pure waste of time jobs are! What to do, what to do. I am aching inside with this need. This need to see.....
Hugs. I feel your frustration although I have no answers. If you ever make it over here, you won't have to sleep in a dumpster :) xx
ReplyDeleteAnd - I meant to say - your photographs are absolutely stunning. xx
ReplyDeleteYour photos are lovely.. I wish there was an easy way to travel with littles and it not be so expensive. There is so much world out there to explore!
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate! I was born with wanderlust, too. And in 2006 at 36 years old, I took what looks to be my last great trip...6 months touring Australia in a camper van. I'm sure we'll travel again, but in far shorter spurts of time...2-3 weeks, tops, and even that won't be for several years yet. If my DH's job comes thru, I will be moving to a place that I am less than smitten with, so will join you in the struggle to love my *whole* life. I wish I had sage advice to help us both overcome the painful itch. Thinking of you...
ReplyDeletewe love to travel and itch to do so too! it literally wakes me up at night. there is so much to see. but you are right, a family of 5 is much more expensive. We are going to NYC this fall and it is costing as much as my husband and i have spent to go to europe before kids. i am constantly searching for ways to travel and adventure on the cheap. let's share resources and work to help each other!
ReplyDeleteYou're never too old until you feel too old. I know what it is to want to travel. You'll do it; don't worry. I get it-the itch with no money. I totally get it.
ReplyDeleteHave you heard of Couchsurfing.org? We have been active members for about three years and we do it with our monkeys-
ReplyDeleteCheck it out- it is not for everyone but if traveling is your thing you will for sure meet like minded people.