So I just finished reading Eaarth (read it!) and my motivation to eat locally, conserve water, and conserve energy has been given a bit of a kick. (Sidenote: I've been blogging a lot less lately simply because I'm tired with this pregnancy...and my kids have turned a bit psycho on me).
Eaarth focuses primarily on three things: food, water, and energy. Basically, the author explains what we have done to the Earth up to this point and what we must do from now on. In a nutshell, we must start thinking local, local, local. We all knew that, of course, but it never hurts to be reminded.
Food: I did a little more research on farmers markets in the area. Like I said before, all of the ones in Houston are in the center of Houston (and Houston is a massive sprawling city much larger than LA or New York). HOWEVER, I found one in Tomball. Tomball is a small town outside of Houston and I guess I just never thought to Google "Tomball Farmers Market"...It is less than 10 miles from my house! I will be checking it out this weekend.
Eaarth focuses primarily on three things: food, water, and energy. Basically, the author explains what we have done to the Earth up to this point and what we must do from now on. In a nutshell, we must start thinking local, local, local. We all knew that, of course, but it never hurts to be reminded.
Food: I did a little more research on farmers markets in the area. Like I said before, all of the ones in Houston are in the center of Houston (and Houston is a massive sprawling city much larger than LA or New York). HOWEVER, I found one in Tomball. Tomball is a small town outside of Houston and I guess I just never thought to Google "Tomball Farmers Market"...It is less than 10 miles from my house! I will be checking it out this weekend.
So what have we done in our effort to eat local? We went to Gramen Farm
to buy goat milk because I am attempting to make cheese. We also bought
cow's milk and eggs. However, I have recently acquired a gnat problem
and did not want almost cheese hanging from my sink. So, while I was
attempting to eradicate the tiny pests (Trying to drown them in vinegar
and dish soap did not work. They swarmed the mixture but none committed
suicide. I have been spraying them with water and then wiping them
up...one by one.) my kids drank all of the goat's milk. The cheese will
be made after our next trip to the farm.
However, I did manage to make Sweet and Salty Bacon Cornbread from Good Meat
using mostly local ingredients. Local bacon, cornmeal, eggs, butter,
and buttermilk. Is there such thing as local salt, sugar (I think most
of ours comes from Louisiana), and baking soda
(Wyoming)? I don't know....There is certainly plenty of local honey
around here so I guess I could substitute that for sugar in a lot of
things.

Energy: The book compares future energy use to CSAs. In other words, we need to start developing local energy (CSEs). Question: How much does it cost to put solar panels on one's house? For now, I am waiting for my current contract to expire with Amigo Energy and then I will switch to Green Mountain. I don't really know what else to do besides conserve...Any ideas?
Water: Let me just say one thing. We must use so much less water than most people simply by being dirty. I wouldn't call it being dirty (please dear God don't let my husband be reading this), just not taking many baths. Another benefit of homeschooling! I've never washed my car before either. We swim in our little plastic pools quite a bit, but then always use that water to water the plants. Still working on a rain barrel...
Right now, I'm also focusing on not using paper towels and on using cloth diapers. I've also thought a lot about y'alls suggestion that I make a pallet compost bin. However, I'm worried about rodents. They are already pretty common here and I don't want to make the situation worse. I know about stuffing the food scraps into the middle and whatnot, but....any other suggestions?
In other sort of related news, I won my first giveaway! And it is the most useful (for me) giveaway ever! I won two books.
I won them from Living Homegrown, a great resource that you should check out if you haven't already. I will definitely be blogging about the books after I receive them. My dad is working on a coop from scraps at "the farm" as I type. Thanks Dad!





thanks for the recommendations- I just ordered the book and started following the (new to me) blog.
ReplyDeleteFood choices can be so difficult sometimes. Local is good, esp. when you can talk to the farmers in person. I admire you for seeking out what's available in your area. Do you garden? You could try a garden exchange with your neighbors?
ReplyDeleteI think solar panels can be pricey. Conservation is fab. and yeah, kids don't need to be bathed more than once or twice a week, right ;)
With your warm weather, maybe you can line dry your clothes? We do it in the summer and they smell so nice.
i garden, but not near enough to have an exchange :-( one day....and we do line dry our clothes! my sisters in laws gave us a dryer recently but i try to only use it if i need something dry quick.
DeleteYay! So glad that you finished it and amazed by all of your motivation to change with being really pregnant and all. My husband's grandma lives in Tomball!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your giveaway... and we have dirty kids around here too! Saving water!
neat! if yall ever go to visit her you should come and visit me too!
DeleteHear ya on the dirty, lol. One way to save on energy...change those lightbulbs to the energy saving ones. Turn off the computer at night before bed. I would love to work better at eating locally, we just can't always afford it. I can do Farmers Markets from time to time. Plenty of those around here. My main concern with the food is making sure we eat.
ReplyDeleteyeah a gallon of raw milk from the local farm costs anywhere from 8-10$ depending on the season. We drink almost a gallon a day. Although the raw milk def tastes better and is better for us we just can't afford that all of the time. I'm working on ways to cut back in other areas so we can afford better food (because food is important) but we don't have too many areas to cut back in. I keep reading that good local food isn't more expensive, but I can't quite figure that out.
DeleteI guess we could cut back on our milk drinking lol...
DeleteI've been looking at farmers markets in our area. Thinking maybe I can afford produce and veggies from there. Corn, greenbeans, tomatoes, grapes, apples, bananas. But the CSA's are are too expensive ranging from $190-250. I'm going to take the kids to a few farms around here. I'm not seeing how we can afford it, but ill keep researching. My husband doesn't care. He says he just wants to eat, Haha.
ReplyDelete