Sunday, March 4, 2012

Perfectly Spring

Although it's not officially Spring, I'm pretty sure "Winter" in Texas is over. Today when we woke up, I knew immediately that it was going to be a perfect day. Highs in the 70's and not a cloud in sight. The backyard was covered in birds. I decided to set up a little bird watching station by the window.


We didn't waste too much time inside and headed over to Grandma's. She had finished Naia's blanket (the elephant still needs a tail)!


 We decided to try out some "Nature Paper" that came with an Usborne book we bought a while back. Althouth the collecting was fun, I wasn't too impressed with the paper.









 The kids started bugging me to go on a nature walk, so we headed to the Arboretum.


 To be honest, its not my favorite place anymore. I feel bad. We still go, but there are just so many dead trees...and no more shade. The drought last year was devastating.

Here's a picture from mid April last year.


 Here's the same spot today. I know it's not mid April yet so I'm still hoping...


 And this is what most of the view looks like from the trails.


However, we still had a great time.






After walking a bit and hanging out at the Nature Center, I still wanted to walk over to the meadow and see if there were Bluebonnets. The kids needed a little inspiration. Popsicles did the trick.


 Uh oh.


 Nothing a little water can't wash off. On to turtle viewing.


And Bluebonnets!


 






12 comments:

  1. That blanket is just fabby! I to thought spring was pretty much here! I am starting our Spring and minibeast topic with the kids tomorrow so was shocked when it snowed this afternoon lol!! Where did that come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a beautiful weekend. Am new to your blog and really enjoying your perspective. Wow, there is some difference between those two views taken in the same spot in the nature reserve - Is this all down to drought? The bushland here often falls prey to drought and fire and it does look devastating but seems to be part of forest renewal and regenerating here in Australia. Love your idea of setting up a bird hide in your house xx Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this was a historic drought and we lost a huge percentage of our trees in Texas. Although there were wildfires across the state last year, there was nothing like that in this particular area. So a drought without the fires doesn't really help much with regeneration yeah? (I'm asking). The arboretum has said that it will have more cleared areas for meadows which is fine, but means no shade...which means not too many visitors in the 100 degree + summer.

      Delete
  3. That looks SO nice! We had some really pretty days, some tornado days, and now snow flurries. But TN is typically all over the place this time of year. I'm just glad when we have the warm, sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naia's blanket is gorgeous, cute the pic of her asleep in the car with it:) Sad about those big old trees, hope at least some of them pick back up. Love the little red tractor that tavern was on

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a great day.
    Love the blanket.
    We are in need of rain...I am happy that it is raining today, it is just what the earth needs.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe winter is over here in PA so you are not alone. Lovely photos, as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ♥ You have such a beautiful family...love those pictures of them looking at the lily pads on the pond. Hiking around together is so much fun! And that elephant blanket ROCKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I found you via Ordinary Life Magic. I'm your newest blog follower :) Your kids are absolutely adorable! I'm looking forward to exploring more of your blog. You reminded me to add our arboretum to the list of free places to visit this Spring.

    There is a Year Round Blog Carnival going on on my blog that I'm hosting with several other ladies. This post would fit in perfectly. Hope you'll stop by and add it.
    http://www.themahoganyway.com/2012/02/all-year-round-blog-carnival-spring.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful spring day out! Thanks so much for sharing this with our Spring Carnival, it's perfect! I love your bird watching station by the window, such a good idea. Great pictures and the last one especially is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so nice! Two feet of snow fell where I live this past week. When I look out the window, it is hard to believe that it is so warm and beautiful somewhere else on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello to another Texan. I saw your blog on the blog carnival and thought that looked like AZ or TX. Nice photos and gorgeous family.

    ReplyDelete