Thursday, May 5, 2011
My Freedom Manifesto
Although I am not perfect and my lifestyle is not perfect (what is perfect?), I do live consciously. I do not stress out about much, if anything. I just try to live my life in a way that makes my family and myself happy and that does not do damage to others (although I do have a car which does cause pollution which others do breathe in). The book, The Freedom Manifesto by Tom Hodgkinson, had a huge impact on me. I think it may have led me to my best decision in life, to quit my job as a librarian. Life is short and we cannot be afraid of the future. I'm not going to spend my life away from my kids so that I can have health insurance and a retirement fund. We must live NOW! This does not mean buy whatever you want, eat cheetos, and travel around the world. At least not for me. It means work less and live more. Buy less. Spend time with your family and friends. Drink and listen to good music. Get outside. Produce your own food (even if only a little). Relax.
Labels:
Freedom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have a ukulele.
ReplyDeleteoh yeah? I don't. I need some friends with ukes so they can come to my place and play while I listen and drink.
ReplyDeleteI haven't quite mastered it yet :)
ReplyDeleteGrandpa Bill played the ukelele!!! We used to sing together!
ReplyDeleteI like your fonts
ReplyDeletehmmm, well maybe we should take one up to the river next weekend!
ReplyDeleteor does he still have it?
ReplyDeleteno...he doesn't....
ReplyDeleteWe got an ukulele recently, too! It's so cute. I think you'd really like the book "Radical Homemakers" by Shannon Hayes. And if you send me an email (mama_marfa at yahoo dot com) I'll gladly mail you "Little Bee" when I'm done...almost! It's quite a sad story, though.
ReplyDeleteGlad to have found your blog. I also left my job as a librarian this year to stay at home with my kids! I loved librarianship - but not as much as my kids. I find there are so many incredible ways for me to use my skills outside of full-time employment (homeschooling my kids, writing, research, blogging...). Looking forward to your inspiration.
ReplyDeleteI love your blog!! I might need to find a copy of that book - just to remind myself of all the true values in life. Good for you for finding your own bliss!!!
ReplyDeletexo~ michele
Such an interesting blog... such an interesting post! I'm also a stay-at-home-mom (quit my job about 2 years to be with my two kids)! Really like what you're saying here. Glad I found you!
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely week ahead!